1. Go to http://uflib.ufl.edu.
2. Click on the Course Reserve Link on the main library page, as shown below.
4. If you do not have an account in Ares, you will be asked to create an account as an student. Click on the link to accept.
5. Your account in Ares has now been created.
1. Log into Ares, as shown above.
2. Under Student Tools, click on Search Courses (see below).
3. There are three options. Students may search for courses by department, by Instructor (use the pulldown menu to locate instructors by name), or by course number (for example, ENC 1101). HINT: if you cannot locate the course by prefix and number, try entering just the prefix.
4. Click on the Add Course link to add the course to your Hot List. The Hot list is a list of the classes you are registered for an access regularly. Courses you are enrolled in are NOT added to the Hot List automatically- students must add each course to their Hot List manually.
IMPORTANT: You must have the UF VPN Client installed on your computer, and be logged into the UF VPN Client before viewing online course reserve materials. To automatically start the download and installation process, go to http://vpn.ufl.edu . For technical assistance with the UF VPN Client, please call the UF Computing Help Desk, at 352-392-4357.
1. On the main page in Ares, there is a list of classes you have added to your Hot List (See example below). Clicking on a course will take you to a listing of all the materials that the instructor has requested for course reserve this semester.
2. Use the image below as a guide to types of course materials on reserve.
- Primitivism in 20th Century Art (circled in red): This item lists a call number (N7248.5 P741); if an item has a call number listed, this indicates that the item is a hard copy reserve item, and not available full-text online. If you click on this listing, you will see the following screen:
- Click on "Click here for catalog record" to view the complete catalog record for the item, including the library where the item is on reserve, the call number, and information on if the item is currently checked out (see below).
- For the item African Arts: Aesthetics and Evolution (circled in blue); the web file icon indicates that the item is an online resources, with a link to the article in a database, website, or other online source. Clicking on the item will bring up the item record, with a link to the item. Click on the View this item link to view the full text item (see example below).
- For the item African Crossroads: Political Dress (circled in purple), the PDF icon next to the item indicates that it is a scanned PDF file. Clicking on the title will take you to the item record (see image below). Please note that you need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader or another PDF file viewer installed to view these files.
The courses in your Hot List will be automatically deleted from your Hot List at the end of each semester. If you want to remove a class before the end of the semester, take the following steps.
1. Click on the class in your Hot List.
2. Click on the Remove course link, under the Student Tools menu (see image below).
3. On the next page, confirm that you want to remove the course by clicking on the Yes link (see image below).
For each class in your Hot list, there is an option to be notified by email when new items are added to the course reserve list. Emails are automatically sent to your ufl.edu email addr4ess. To activate this feature, take the following steps:
1. Click on the course in your Hot List.
2. At the top of the page, there is a message stating "An Email subscription will send you emails when new items become available in this course. You are not currently subscribed. Subscribe now" (see image below). Click on the Subscribe Now link.
You will now receive an email whenever an item is added to the course reserve list.